Thursday, July 28, 2016

SAN FRAN DAY 5....ALCATRAZ

This was another thing that was on the very top of my must do's!  Making this happen was no easy feet, but we are so glad everything worked out.  When we booked our flight in early May, I knew that I needed to book Alcatraz tickets ASAP, since they sell out very quickly.  I got online, booked a day and time for Alcatraz, and thought everything was all set.  About 2 weeks before we were leaving, we got an email basically saying we are sorry, but your request could not be filled.  To say I was disappointed, is a huge understatement.  We did a little research and quickly found out that we had booked through a booking agency, and not the actual Alcatraz website.  I sent an email to the booking company letting them know how wrong this was along with a few other things.  I didn't expect my $27 fee to be refunded, but by darn, I was going to let them know how I felt about it.  At the time, Warren was doing his 2 weeks active duty for the Coast Guard and just happened to be talking about what happened with the tickets.  A guy he works with told him that one of his best friends is a Park Ranger at Alcatraz.  Warren came home and told me, but to be honest, I was thinking...yeah right!  He might "know" someone that works there, but not well enough to pull that off.  We never heard from him, but about 3 days before we left, he text Warren and said that there were 3 tickets waiting at the office for us.  I could not believe it, and honestly, I was kinda of nervous until the day of, when we had the tickets in hand.  It turned out that the agency refunded our money while we were in San Fran, so that was a surprise as well.  Also, when I booked the tickets, it was around $120.  When we went to pick up the tickets at the office, our total was $32!
We got there to get our tickets around 10:40 and they said we could pick our tour time.  We told them we wanted as soon as possible, and they were like ok...you leave the dock in 20 minutes!  We went and got in line for the ferry, and 15 minutes later, we were headed to the island!












When we got to the island, we listened to short orientation, and then were free to tour for the rest of the day.  We chose to do the audio tour, which was about an hour and 30 minutes.  It was such a neat experience and I'm so glad we got to go!



















We got back from the tour around 2, and we were starving.  We ended up at Johnny Rockets...

I was bound and determined to get some San Francisco sour dough bread....it was so delicious!



After we ate, we did some souvenir shopping and then went o ride the Cable Car.  This was another thing that I really wanted to do!





When we got back, the guys grilled yummy steak and we just hung out around the house.  Another busy, but fun day!



No comments:

Post a Comment